Nissan Altima vs. Nissan Maxima
2017 Nissan Altima
2017 Nissan Maxima
Those shopping for an exceptional sedan will find exciting options within the Nissan family of vehicles. To help consumers narrow down these choices even further, we’ve compiled an in-depth comparison between two outstanding car models from Nissan: the Nissan Altima vs. Nissan Maxima.
When deciding between two such incredible, feature-loaded vehicles, you truly can’t go wrong. However, we can help you decide which option is the best “best choice” for you and your needs. Keep reading!
When selecting a new vehicle, consumers typically consider cost first and foremost. A price difference of about $10,000 separates the Altima from the Maxima. If your budget is constrained, therefore, the Altima is the model you’ll likely opt for.
The 2017 Altima lineup is composed of the following prices and trim levels:
• Altima 2.5: Pricing beginning at $22,500 MSRP
• Altima 2.5 S: Pricing beginning at $22,900 MSRP
• Altima 2.5 SR: Pricing beginning at $24,470 MSRP
• Altima SR Midnight Edition: Pricing beginning at $25,460 MSRP
• Altima 2.5 SV: Pricing beginning at $25,460 MSRP
• Altima 2.5 SL: Pricing beginning at $28,570 MSRP
• Altima 3.5 SR: Pricing beginning at $27,990 MSRP
• Altima 3.5 SL: Pricing beginning at $32,690 MSRP
The 2017 Maxima lineup is as follows:
• Maxima S: Pricing starting at $32,610 MSRP
• Maxima SV: Pricing starting at $34,590 MSRP
• Maxima SL: Pricing starting at $37,090 MSRP
• Maxima SR: Pricing starting at $37,870 MSRP
• Maxima SR Midnight Edition: Pricing starting at $39,065 MSRP
• Maxima Platinum: Pricing starting at $40,040 MSRP
Under the Hood
Drivers will enjoy impressive power behind the wheels of both the Altima and the Maxima. If the highest available engine output is at the top of your must-have list, the Maxima is the car that will attract you most.
Beneath the hood of each Maxima model is a 3.5L DOHC V6 engine that produces 300 hp and 261 lb-ft. of torque.
For the Altima, two engine options are offered:
- Standard 2.5L DOHC 4-cylinder engine that generates 179 hp and 177 lb-ft. of torque
- Available 3.5L DOHC V6 engine that delivers 270 hp and 251 lb-ft. of torque (3.5 SR and 3.5 SL models)
The Altima and Maxima each deliver desirable fuel economy numbers. If you’re looking to help the environment and also save the greatest amount of money at the pump, the Altima will hold the most attraction.
The Altima 2.5, 2.5 S, 2.5 SV, and 2.5 SL models each offer an EPA-estimated 27 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway. The Altima 2.5 SR and SR Midnight Edition each achieve 26 city mpg and 37 highway mpg, while the Altima 3.5 SR and 3.5 SL models each deliver 22 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.
Fuel economy delivery for each of the Maxima models is 21 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.
Both the Altima and the Maxima offer a variety of desirable amenities to enhance the journey for drivers and passengers. If you’re looking for more of a luxury feel in your new car, the Maxima provides various high-end features as standard offerings that are not standard onboard the Altima but are only offered as upgrades for the higher Altima trim levels.
Exterior features that are offered standard for the Maxima but not the Altima include LED daytime running lights and front fog lights.
Interior features that are standard-issue for the Maxima but are only offered as upgrades for the Altima include:
• Integrated navigation system with voice activation
• HomeLink garage door transmitter
• Auto-dimming rearview mirror
• Dual-zone automatic climate control
• SiriusXM Satellite Radio
• External digital memory control
• Remote engine start
• Power driver’s seat with lumbar support
• Power front passenger seat
• Speed-sensitive volume control
• Express up/down power windows for the driver and front passenger
• Adjustable rear head restraints
Find Out for Yourself
If you’re still not quite sure which car is the right one for you, the Nissan Altima or the Nissan Maxima, don’t despair—a member of the Jeffrey Nissan team is here to help you!
Stop by our world-class showroom or contact us today to further explore the offerings of these feature-rich cars in person. Once you’ve had a look inside the Altima and the Maxima, one of our knowledgeable crew members will be glad to answer all of your questions and then get you behind the wheel and out on the road for a test drive!