How to Change a Flat Tire
Getting a flat tire can easily ruin your day, but knowing how to change a flat can take the fear and worry out of a scary situation. Arm yourself with the tools and knowledge on this basic automotive repair, and drive through Roseville with total confidence.
You will need the following items in your car in order to change a flat:
- Owner’s Manual
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Lug Wrench
Check your spare regularly to ensure it is inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. These additional tools will help your repair run even smoother, especially if it is dark or raining outside:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
Proper Steps for Tire Repair
Here is how to remove your flat and install the spare:
- Park your vehicle in a safe location, preferably a level stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Before getting out of the car, turn on your hazard lights.
- Set the parking brake to prevent rolling. Do this even when on level ground.
- Apply the wheel wedges, either in front of the front tires if you’re changing a rear tire, or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Never place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts. They are easy to unscrew them by hand once loose.
- Grip the tire treads and pull gently towards you to remove the flat. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. If it does not fit, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven on at high speeds.
Need Further Assistance? Contact Jeffrey Nissan
More from Jeffrey Nissan
While pickup trucks like the Nissan Titan or Nissan Frontier are ideal if you’re looking at a Nissan that can take on any tough job, the Nissan Rogue also offers an impressive towing capacity that definitely gives it a leg up on some of its competition in its class. Find out just how powerful the…
Grosse Pointe customers looking at the Nissan Maxima will quickly find that the initial Nissan Maxima cost will be $34,050 MSRP*. This starting price delivers a standard 300 horsepower across the entire lineup of its six different trim levels. This way you enjoy plenty of trim specific features and amenities with the remarkable performance you’ve come…
Looking to hit the streets of Grosse Pointe in one of the most fuel efficient sedans on the market? Discover how the 2019 Nissan Maxima MPG, as well as it’s reliable performance and safety features, can improve your ride! 2019 Maxima Details New Maxima Inventory 2019 Nissan Maxima Gas Mileage and Performance The Nissan Maxima gas…