How to Change a Flat Tire
Getting a flat tire can easily ruin your day, but knowing how to change a flat can take the fear and worry out of a scary situation. Arm yourself with the tools and knowledge on this basic automotive repair, and drive through Roseville with total confidence.
You will need the following items in your car in order to change a flat:
- Owner’s Manual
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Lug Wrench
Check your spare regularly to ensure it is inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. These additional tools will help your repair run even smoother, especially if it is dark or raining outside:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
Proper Steps for Tire Repair
Here is how to remove your flat and install the spare:
- Park your vehicle in a safe location, preferably a level stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Before getting out of the car, turn on your hazard lights.
- Set the parking brake to prevent rolling. Do this even when on level ground.
- Apply the wheel wedges, either in front of the front tires if you’re changing a rear tire, or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Never place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts. They are easy to unscrew them by hand once loose.
- Grip the tire treads and pull gently towards you to remove the flat. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. If it does not fit, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven on at high speeds.
Need Further Assistance? Contact Jeffrey Nissan
More from Jeffrey Nissan
In short, the Nissan Maxima is not available in all-wheel drive, however, there are plenty of performance innovations to keep your model on track and in control on St. Clair Shores roads. Check out all the new Nissan Maxima has to offer you in terms of technology, convenience, and safety for your Grosse Pointe commutes at Jeffrey Nissan today!…
The 2019 Nissan Altima starts at $24,000*, making it a competitively priced midsize sedan. Higher trim levels come at a higher cost but include more innovative technology and luxury materials in the cabin. The base model comes highly equipped with plenty for both St. Clair Shores drivers and passenger, however, if you’re looking for a bit more,…
When choosing the right Nissan Maxima for you and your budget, you’ll want to check out each of the 2019 Nissan Maxima trims to see which can best enhance your Grosse Pointe commute. Explore the Nissan Maxima models at Jeffrey Nissan and test drive your favorite today! 2019 Maxima Details MoreNew Maxima Inventory What Are the Nissan…