How to Change a Flat Tire
Getting a flat tire can easily ruin your day, but knowing how to change a flat can take the fear and worry out of a scary situation. Arm yourself with the tools and knowledge on this basic automotive repair, and drive through Roseville with total confidence.
You will need the following items in your car in order to change a flat:
- Owner’s Manual
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Lug Wrench
Check your spare regularly to ensure it is inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. These additional tools will help your repair run even smoother, especially if it is dark or raining outside:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
Proper Steps for Tire Repair
Here is how to remove your flat and install the spare:
- Park your vehicle in a safe location, preferably a level stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Before getting out of the car, turn on your hazard lights.
- Set the parking brake to prevent rolling. Do this even when on level ground.
- Apply the wheel wedges, either in front of the front tires if you’re changing a rear tire, or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Never place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts. They are easy to unscrew them by hand once loose.
- Grip the tire treads and pull gently towards you to remove the flat. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. If it does not fit, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven on at high speeds.
Need Further Assistance? Contact Jeffrey Nissan
More from Jeffrey Nissan
Getting behind the wheel of a reliable compact crossover is easier than you think with the 2019 Nissan Rogue. And, since this model’s release, the Nissan Rogue reviews have been praising its space, style, and convenience inside and out. So, let’s check out to see what the Nissan Rogue consumer reviews have highlighted, as well…
The 2019 Nissan Altima reviews are in, and many of the automotive industry’s top critics are praising this updated version of the popular midsize Nissan model! Whether it’s the model’s unbeatable starting price of $23,750 MSRP, the dependable performance and safety capabilities, or the wide variety of features, critics have found many things that will…
While pickup trucks like the Nissan Titan or Nissan Frontier are ideal if you’re looking at a Nissan that can take on any tough job, the Nissan Rogue also offers an impressive towing capacity that definitely gives it a leg up on some of its competition in its class. Find out just how powerful the…